- Building a combination of web services for our online users, APIs for external software developers to build against and software for our internal users.
- Contributing and adhering to our technical standards
- Maximising the automated test coverage to help move to continuous delivery
- Ensuring code quality through code reviews
- NodeJS and/or Java, Go, Spring, TypeScript, Kafka, AWS, Docker, Microservices.
- You'll have software engineering experience, with good technical skills. A degree in computing or similar would be an advantage
- You'll have a passion for high quality, well-crafted code, and associated tooling
- You embrace continuous integration and have a continuous delivery mindset
- You are patient and can help support and mentor others with different degrees of expertise to maximise their potential
- You have excellent communication skills and can help explain complicated technical issues to individuals who don’t share the same technical experience
- Good knowledge of programming tools, frameworks, and techniques in at least one of the following ecosystems: Java, Node (you will be expected to learn the other once in post as required according to business needs)
- Knowledge of any of the following technologies/approaches: Golang, TypeScript, Kafka, Deployment pipeline tooling (e.g. Concourse), MongoDB
- Knowledge of micro-service driven architecture
- Knowledge of RESTful APIs.
- You have experience of developing software throughout the delivery lifecycle
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
- Flexible working with no core hours. Work anytime between (6am and 8pm). – Build up to 2 days off per month!
- 30 Days Annual Leave and 8 Bank Holidays and 1 Privilege Day.
- Maternity, Adoption and Shared Parental Leave paid at full rate of pay for the 26 weeks of Ordinary Maternity leave, followed by an extra 13 weeks Statutory Maternity Pay and a further 13 weeks leave is also available which is unpaid. We offer 2 weeks statutory paternity leave
- Enrolment into the Civil Service Pension Scheme with a contribution rate of averaging 27%.
- 3 Days Volunteering Leave.
- Support for training such as Certifications in AWS and OCP and access to Pluralsight. With up to 5 days study leave.
- 1 Half Day per week innovation time to learn new skills or come up ways to simplify the teams the way of working.
- Choice between a MacBook Pro or Windows 10 Surface Book to allow you to complete your work to a high standard as well as offering the ability to work remotely.
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- On Site Gym (Cardiff) *membership required
- We will supply a desk, chair, monitor and all the kit you need to work from home in comfort.
- Baseline Personnel Security Standard
- Departmental/Company Records Check
- Security Questionnaire
- Criminal Record Check
- Credit Reference Check
- Security Service Check
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
(From Everywhere/No Office Location)
Golang Job Details
Type of role
Number of jobs available
About the job
Things you need to know
Apply and further information
About the job
We have some exciting opportunities for enthusiastic, developers to join our passionate and experienced digital teams in Companies House.
Do you have a passion for delivering user focused digital services and using the latest technology to deliver solutions to a global audience of millions?
If the answer to the above is yes, we would love you to join us and be part of our team to help us build the future of our Digital Services.
We are currently using a hybrid approach to the way we work. The majority of our digital teams are based in our Cardiff head office. Remote/homeworking contracts will only be offered to successful candidates who are not within a commutable distance to our Cardiff office. If you are located within a commutable distance to one our offices, you will receive a hybrid contract.
At Companies House, hybrid working is about achieving an effective balance between working in the office and working from other appropriate locations. Our approach to hybrid working provides opportunities for you to be adaptable in the way you work so that you can achieve a healthy balance between your work and home life. We currently expect those on hybrid contracts to attend their base office a minimum of one day a week but the exact degree of choice you have will depend on your role and your day-to-day work activities and should be agreed through discussions with your line manager.
For more information, please reach out to the Recruitment Manager - Tom Skidmore [email protected]
You’ll be responsible for:
What it is like to work in Companies House:
Inclusive and diverse teams are important to us. Wherever possible, we offer flexible working arrangements. We'll support you to meet other commitments and help you strike a better work-life balance. We’re keen to create an environment that works for everyone, and we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics.
Half a day a week is devoted to Innovation time where everyone in digital can work on whatever they choose, be that building new applications, trying new technologies or working towards certifications, it’s up to you. In addition to this we offer lots of opportunities to have training as and when it is needed. We trust and empower our staff to work in a way which best suits them.
Companies House is an award-winning employer, With an Investors in People Gold Award we are at the fore front in ensuring our staff reach their full potential in building brilliant services on cutting edge technology. You’ll be joining our Software Engineering Profession at a time of transformation and you will be a part of shaping the future of our department. We use Agile Methodologies and promote a culture of continuous improvement.
Click here to find out more about what it is like to work in Companies House .
We are looking for Java or NodeJS developers.
Our current technology stack is below, don’t worry if you don’t know them all, we are interested in your ability to learn.
Who are you?
These criteria will be assessed at sift and interview so please ensure you include it in your personal statement.
We will also be assessing the following technical skills:
As well as the following experience:
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
We also offer:
Things you need to know
Selection process details
Candidates will be required to supply a CV and Personal Statement. Your personal statement should be no more than 1250 words and address any experience and technical skills in the job description. These will also be explored at interview.
Candidates may be required to undertake an activity as part of the selection process.
Companies House uses a blended interview technique, allowing us to find out more about you. We use the Success Profile framework and may include Strength based questions in the interview.
Our recruitment process is underpinned by the principle of recruitment based on fair and open competition with decisions made on the basis of merit, as outlined in the Civil Service Commissioners’ Recruitment Principles.
As part of our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, we ask candidates to provide an anonymous application. Please remove all identifying personal information from your CV, personal statement and application including: name; address; date of birth; dates of education.
We are proud to be a disability confident leader. Our recruitment process is fully inclusive of all physical and mental disabilities and as such we can make adjustments as needed through our process. These could include having an interview buddy, extra time at interviews or assessments and receiving interview questions prior to interview to name a few. If you are unsure what may be appropriate for your specific needs, please reach out and we will be happy to have a conversation about how we can best support you. Please contact the recruitment team if needed and a member of the team will be in touch – [email protected]
Any move to Companies House from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax-Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements for Security Check (SC) before they can be appointed. To gain (SC) clearance you will normally need to have been a UK resident for a minimum of 5 years, and will need to successfully complete all stages of the vetting process which includes:
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules. If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance, please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
See our vetting charter.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
Working for the Civil Service
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants